Companies and Markets
Call us on +44 (0) 203 086 8600
Market Research A to Z | Company Profiles A to Z | RegisterRegister | Contact UsContact Us | Shopping Basket Shopping Basket
+44 (0) 203 086 8600 Call us on

Global airport retailing market bouncing back

Industry Sector

Retail

Published

11 September 2012

Author

Matt Bodimeade

Type of News

Market

Having suffered a drop in sales in 2009, the global airport retailing market has bounced back. However, growth is being driven predominantly by passenger volumes, which are increasing rapidly in emerging markets, rather than an increase in spend per passenger.

The average expenditure of European travellers per visit to duty-free and duty paid airport retail outlets is US$76 and US$51 respectively. Overall, 24% of respondents from Asia-Pacific spent US$11-US$15 per visit on food and beverages, while 23% spent US$5-US$10.

In total, according to the European respondents, 56% of their overall purchases made at duty paid airport retail outlets turned out to be 'impulsive', whereas the remaining 44% constituted 'pre-planned' purchases in 2012. Overall, Asia-Pacific travellers declared that 46% of their purchases at duty-free airport retail stores were pre-planned, while 54% of purchases were impulsive in the last six months.

In 2011, Europe was the largest airport retailing market, however it has been forecast that this region will be overtaken in size in 2012 by Asia Pacific.

The global airport retailing market is forecast to expand by 44.5% from 2010 to 2015 with most of this growth coming from emerging economies especially in Asia Pacific, which is forecast to grow by 76.2%, and the Middle East and Africa which is forecast to grow by 40%.

Low cost airlines such as Malaysia's Air Asia and India's Spice Jet and IndiGo have made air travel more affordable to the expanding young urban population in the Asia Pacific region. This combined with ambitious investment in new infrastructure has helped increase footfall in the region and therefore boost retail sales.

For more information on the global airport retailing market, see the latest research: Global Airport Retailing Market Report

Follow us on Twitter @CandMResearch

Visitor Comments

All posts are pre-moderated and must obey the house rules.

Change Currency

GBP
USD

Change Currency

GBP
USD

Use our research skills: Get free support

Free Research Support: Let us do the work for you and find information from public and private sources of information. Contact us now and we can save you time and money.......Free Research Support

December Discounted Prices: Contact us to ask about our special discounts available in December

For the last month in 2014 we are offering discounted prices on a selection of new reports. Please contact us on 00 44 (0) 203 0868600 or via email (click here to email) to ask about prices and special discounts.

Available during December and the run-up to Christmas; Discounted prices on a selection of our reports.

Find all the research at the best prices. Great promotions being offered during December!

We are offering our clients substantial savings on the best research available during December. Please contact us either via emailor by calling our team to discuss your specific research needs on Tel: 00 44 (0) 203 0868600. We look forward to being able to find you the research you require at good prices.

Accessibility
Close

Contrast settings

Text size settings