Companies and Markets
Call us on +44 (0) 203 086 8600
Market Research A to Z | Company Profiles A to Z | RegisterRegister | Contact UsContact Us | Shopping Basket Shopping Basket
+44 (0) 203 086 8600 Call us on

Vodafone suffers from the crisis in Southern Europe

Industry Sector

Telecommunications

Published

13 November 2012

Author

Alex De Angelis

Type of News

Financials

Mobile phone giant Vodafone has suffered a £492 million half-year loss after being hit with a multi-billion write down in the value of its business in crisis-hit southern Europe.

The telecoms giant announced a £5.9 billion write down in Spain and Italy after the company recorded a pre-tax loss for the six months ending September 30 compared to a profit of £8 billion in the same period last year.

The predominant reasons behind Vodafone's failure over the past few months are it being hit by customers making fewer calls in the economically depressed southern region, along with the weakening of currencies in its major markets.

On announcing the latest financial results, Vodafone chief executive Vittorio Colao said: "Our results reflect tougher market conditions, mainly in southern Europe."

But Colao also added that he was feeling more positive regarding future opportunities, partly as a result of the group's "attractive and growing exposure to emerging markets", such as India and Turkey.

Vodafone was hit by the drop of 11.3% in southern Europe business while the downturn in northern Europe was 0.7%. The negative result was buoyed slightly by growth sustainment of 4.1% in its emerging markets.

However, there has been some good news for Vodafone, with the Berkshire-based firm being helped by the strong performance of its joint venture Verizon Wireless in the United States. Vodafone

It said it expected to get a £2.4 billion dividend from Verizon Wireless by the end of the year and said it would start a £1.5 billion share buyback programme. Vodafone owns 45% of Verizon Wireless while Verizon Communications owns the other 55% in the joint venture.

For more information on the mobile phone market, see the latest research: Mobile Phone Reports

Follow us on Twitter @CandMResearch

Visitor Comments

All posts are pre-moderated and must obey the house rules.

Change Currency

GBP
USD

Change Currency

GBP
USD

Use our research skills: Get free support

Free Research Support: Let us do the work for you and find information from public and private sources of information. Contact us now and we can save you time and money.......Free Research Support

Can't find the exact research required: We can provide you with cost-effective research on any industry or topic

Use our skills and global network of researchers and consultants to help find and source the business information you need.

Contact us now on 00 44 (0) 203 0868600 or "enquiries @ companiesandmarkets.com" to discuss you requirements and we can provide you with a research solution at suprisingly efficient rates and timelines.

Sometimes we can even find the information you require for free.

Find all the research at the best prices. Great promotions being offered during July!

We are offering our clients substantial savings on the best research available during July. Please contact us either via email or by calling our team to discuss your specific research needs on Tel: 00 44 (0) 203 0868600.

Accessibility
Close

Contrast settings

Text size settings